Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Benjamin's First Day of First Grade

Well, it is here! The day where Benjamin goes off to school for the entire day. No more of this 1/2 day business. The day where he clings to my leg and cries for me to not leave him alone all day long because he will miss me. The day where I kiss him on the head and send him along to be a big boy despite his anxiety!

Yeah, that was how I envisioned it anyway. Instead, he happily strolls into school, grabs his breakfast, goes to his class, hops in his seat, and forgets that I am tagging along!!! Mommy? Mommy who? And all of that crying and missing each other, well, that was all left to me. I did MY part. I kissed him on the back of the head, walked into the hallway, and promptly burst into tears! And we're not talking "a little sniffle here and a misty eye" tears. We're talking "I hope the principal didn't see me in the hallway and call the people with the tight white coats" crying...

Anyway, Benjamin overcame and did well! He loved his first day of school. He says his teacher is very nice and she helps him when he doesn't know what to do.

Of course, I took 674,000 pictures....because that's what Moms do!

My little guy's first day of school. Compare with this picture.

Benjamin and Grammy. She comes for the first days of school.

Daddy got a big hug right before we headed in. As Benjamin walked away, Kevin said, "Who's your best friend" referring to the devotion from the night before. Benjamin's hand shot straight up to the sky! (sniff)

Strolling to class.

Benjamin, Amara, and Josiah. Amara and Benjamin are in the same class this year. Josiah is next door.

Benjamin's friend charging into class for her first day. In the background you can see our other neighbor Sherene cheering them both on. Our friends rock!

As Evelyn (Grammy) and I were walking out, we spotted this sign. She pointed it out to me to try to distract me from my crying! Let's just say it didn't have the desired outcome.

This was taken as soon as he got in the car from school. So his head's cut off, but you can still see his excited expression! Yay!

After school, we all met up at Stephanie's house for a "First day of School" party. Stephanie, Sherene, and I (along with our babies) made this poster while the kids were at school. Move over Picasso!

Benjamin and Amara again. Isn't she a superstar?!

Our whole Hudson gang!!

Guess who was even more excited than the kids! Yup. Stephanie. She is the world's best cheerleader for our kids.

The whole gang had ice cream and/or popsicles at the party!

Even Olivia had her own celebratory popsicle...until she rubbed it on the porch. 8-)

Daddy got a lot of snuggle time when he got home. Benjamin missed us. We missed him too!






1 comment:

Jaime said...

Ha, I love your "I did MY part" on the whole crying and missing the other. :-) You're so funny!

I'm glad he's doing well and that he and Amara got to be in the same class! My friend's daughter, Jennie, is in their class, too. She says Ms. Rue is very nice.

I love y'all's First Day of School Party! What fun mommies!!