Monday, May 25, 2009

For Stephanie and Laura

A "Real" Friend

"What is real?" asked the rabbit one day. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you, and a stick out handle?"

"Real isn't how you were made," said the Skin Horse, "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long time, not just to play with, but really loves you, then you become Real. It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time...Generally, by the time you are real, most of your hair has been rubbed off and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

Margery Williams
From The Velveteen Rabbit

I know that this is an excerpt from a kid book, but it is meaningful to me. I love this book. I was especially reminded of you both when I read the part about "when a child loves you...not just to play with, but really loves you." It is nice that, even though we can play, that our friendship is more than that There is something deeper there that is far more important than the surface garbage that today's world seems so obsessed with.

Thank you, Stephanie and Laura, for loving me even though my "hair has been rubbed off and my eyes drop out" It's nice to have people who want to be friends through it all! You are a blessing to me and I just wanted you to know it.

3 comments:

Laura said...

okay...you just made me cry!! you know what an emotional week I have had!!

you are agreat friend too. what a blessing to have you next door!

thanks friend!!

Kim said...

Surely I should get some sort of points for making YOU cry! LoL!

I'm sorry you've been having a rough time of it. We need it to rain again so we can cut up!! Chin up!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for being that for me too! :) I agree with the rain. I almost came knocking on your doors today since I was working in the rain but the fun work was calling me louder.

I feel famous for having my name in the title! ha ha