Thursday, May 7, 2009

Friends don't let friends pee in the ditch

A few weeks ago some of the neighborhood boys decided that it would be great fun to pee in the ditch across the street. Benjamin, being clueless that peeing right out in the open was a bad thing, shared his excitement with me. I informed him that we DO NOT pee outside. I then had to add that, "Yes, when we are out geocaching in the woods and there is absolutely no potty around, then it is okay, but not desirable" and "Yes when we are on a long trip to Michigan and there are no rest stops for 100 miles, then it is okay" and "Yes, when you are out at the houseboat with PawPaw and there is no potty around, then it is okay" and "OKAY BENJAMIN YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!" (asking questions helps him learn, asking questions helps him learn, asking questions helps him learn)

He asked me what he should do next time his friends want to pee in the ditch. I told him to just not do it. He asked me if he should tell me when they do it. I said, "Yeah, that's fine."

Now for a quick disclaimer: I do not know what other peoples' rules are concerning ditch peeing. This is simply my own rule.

Fast forward to the next week. I am inside talking with a friend of mine when Benjamin runs in the house, "Mommy, the kids are peeing in the ditch!!! But I didn't I just came and told you." My friend asks if her son did it, and Benjamin said yes. My friend heads outside to get her son...who is also a "no peeing in the ditch" rule violater. Benjamin then tells me that he told his friends not to do it and that if they did he was going to tell. Kid1 tells Benjamin that if he tells then he really isn't his friend. This concerned Benjamin very much. I explained to Benjamin that helping our friends not do things that they shouldn't do is, indeed, being a good friend. He seemed pleased with this idea.

So, today at lunch Benjamin says, "Mommy, a couple of days or a week ago" (yes, 5 year old time) "Kid1 was going to pee in the ditch. I told him that he shouldn't do that or I would have to tell you. Kid1 said that if I told you then I wasn't his friend. But, Mommy, I told him that I WAS his friend because friends help each other to not make bad decisions." Kid1 didn't like Benjamin's rationale.

Benjamin asked if I was proud of him...which I certainly was. He also asked if I was sure that that was what friends did. Since I am only the Mother, and what do I know, he decided to ask Laura. She confirmed for Benjamin that this was correct. (It sure is nice to have a whole block of neighbors who will back you up in your parenting...thanks you guys)

So, all is right with the world now...until next week.

I really am proud of Benjamin. My sister said I'm going to get him beat up......

I guess you can't win 'em all.

2 comments:

Connie said...

You write so well! Oh my goodness, I can just see it all. This is hysterical, little boy-ness. So funny. Thanks for taking the time to share. Who knew all this drama was taking place just over the fence?

Kim said...

Oh, there is much drama to be had over here. It is really funny.