Thursday, June 4, 2009

A berry pickin' we did go!

On Monday (I think it was Monday) the kids and I went along with Laura, her kids, Aimee, Laura (another one), and 1,642 other kids to the McPeak Orchards (I have a tendency to exaggerate!). We went to pick blackberries and strawberries. (Leta, if you're reading this, I still have every intention of going on our outing in PA. I will just make jam with you and take it home)

I didn't know how Olivia would do, but I went anyway. She hung out in her stroller quite happily for most of the time. I have pictures....LOTS. So, if you're not a grandparent, or just not interested, go ahead and scroll to the next post. 8-)

Olivia relaxing in the stroller watching Benjamin pick blackberries.

Brother picking the blackberries. He did very well!!

Benjamin and Isaac heading to the farthest part of the strawberry patch. It must have been a great idea because they got lots of nice berries.

Benjamin and Isaac working in the field. 8-)

Olivia was not being left out of this. She saw brother try a berry and she was going to have one too! So, she went looking....

Found one she liked.... (oh, if anyone knows how to take this picture and make JUST the berry have color, would you help me do that?)

Bragged about it....

Sat with Benjamin and started nibbling it....

Then shoved it in her mouth to protect it from the other kids.

We came home with these berries and some local honey. I'm going to test the "local honey will help with Kevin's allergies" myth.

One cup of the strawberries went into these Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana muffins.

The children and I really enjoyed the outing. Olivia was thrilled when I would pull a blackberry off of the bush and pop it into her mouth. It was funny. I think that, in the end, she ended up eating 3 strawberries right out of the patch! It was berry fun!

I know, I know. I couldn't help myself!!

7 comments:

Adriana said...

Looks like so much fun. We'll have to try to go next week. We were at the zoo that day... remember!? ;)

Kim said...

Hmmm...that sounds vaguely familiar. However, my phone didn't ring, so I am not quite sure. ;-)

I hear you're going with us Monday morning. Yes, I said MORNING! **Evil laugh**

Adriana said...

Wait, where? :)

Kim said...

To the lake, of course!

Adriana said...

I didn't know Laura decided on Monday. Won't her boys be at their Bible School that morning? I'm taking the older ones to it at 9 and I have an appt with the younger ones a bit later in the morning. We could probably make it there around 1ish if you think you'll still be there. Don't want to miss out on the fun! :)

Jaime said...

If you go berry picking again, call me! I'd love to go! We go to Martin's Berry Patch, but I'm pretty sure they don't have strawberries. Where is McPeak Orchards?

Kim said...

Oh....oops. Yeah, Benjamin is going too!